What is Mental Health Awareness Month?
Mental Health Awareness Month has been observed in the U.S. since 1949. Each year, millions of Americans face the reality of living with a mental health condition. In May, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) joins the national movement to raise awareness about mental health. Each year, we fight stigma, provide support, educate the public and advocate for policies that support people with mental illness and their families.
Mental health is an incredibly important part of overall health. With a growing number of Americans mental health symptoms, we need to join together to advocate for improving our nation’s mental health care system.
Mental Health Awareness Resources:
- NAMI Resources: HelpLine is available M-F 10 am – 10 pm, ET. Connect by phone 800-950-6264 or text “Helpline” to 62640, or chat. In a crisis call or text 988.*
- Mental Health America Mental Health Month Outreach Toolkit: This has been created to help individuals and organizations work smart as they plan for raising mental health awareness during the month of May
- SAMHSA Mental Health Awareness Month Toolkit: The toolkit is a one-stop shop with social media content to help spread awareness about the vital role mental health plays in our well-being, promote acceptance and support of anyone living with a mental illness, and share key resources. Also including the best practices for engaging in healthy discussions about mental health.
- Arizona Department of Health Services: Make a difference in the mental health community by spreading awareness, creating a dialogue, and volunteering your time.
- Teen Lifeline: May is Mental Health Month a time dedicated to spreading awareness of mental health issues, stigmas, and support services. The goal: to enhance community support and quality of care for mental health needs so we all can live healthy, fulfilling lives.
- Phoenix Children’s Mental Health Awareness: A child’s mental health is as important as their physical health.
Mental Health Awareness Events in the Valley:
- Peace of Mind 5K Run/Walk (April 30th): Our intention for the Peace of Mind 5k run/walk is to spread awareness and raise funds to support programs that help individuals overcome everyday challenges.
- Health and Wellness Health Fair (May 21): Community Health Fair Event in South Phoenix to raise awareness to health services and resources including health care professionals.
- Be Kind To Your Mind Virtual Run: They are helping create awareness with their seventh annual Be Kind to Your Mind 1M, 5K, 10K, 13.1, and 26.2 runs. This is a virtual run you can do from the comfort of your home.
- Events Throughout the Valley